A local’s guide to Melbourne
Where to Eat and Drink
World’s Finest Restaurants
Melbourne has some of the world’s best restaurants. Alas, the two Melbourne restaurants that were in The World’s 50 Best Restaurants have slipped out of the latest 2019 list. They are still great restaurants; and they are still booked out way ahead of time, so if you are keen, now is the time to book.
Click here for Attica
Currently ranked 84th in The World’s Best Restaurants list, and three-hatted (highest ranked) in the Australian Good Food Guide. A bit edgy and experimental in their style. Located in suburban Ripponlea, about 8 km from the conference venue.
(around 8 km away, 20-30 minutes by car)
Click here for Brae
Currently ranked 101st in The World’s Best Restaurants list, also three-hatted in the Australian Good Food Guide, Brae is a personal favourite. It is in regional Victoria though, so not that easy to get to unless you are staying over the weekend. Located in the Colac-Otway region, about 135 km from the conference venue.
(around 135 km away; 1.5 to 2 hours by car – combine this with a trip to the Great Ocean Road if this is what you are planning)
Celebrity Chef Restaurants Nearby at Crown Complex
1. Bistro Guillaume
Click here for Bistro Guillaume
Chef: French-born Chef Buillaume
(Adjacent to venue, Riverside at Crown Complex)
2. Rockpool Bar and Grill
Click here for Rockpool Bar and Grill
Chef: Australian chef Neil Perry, also the executive chef for Qantas airlines.
(Adjacent to venue at Crown Complex)
Top Ranked Melbourne Restaurants Nearby
What to Do
1. Victoria Market : 2 km away; 30 mins walk; or hop on free city tram to cut down walking time
2. South Melbourne Market : 1 km away; 15 mins walk; 8 mins by tram
1. National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) : 1.2 km away; 15 mins walk
2. Ian Potter Centre at Federation Square : 1.2 km away; 15 mins walk
1. Emporium Melbourne : 1.6 km away; 20 mins walk; 15 mins by tram
2. Chadstone Shopping Centre : A little distance away, but reputed to be the largest shopping centre in the Southern Hemisphere 16 km away; 30 mins by car
Best Running/Walking Route
1. The Tan/Tan Track – Botanical Garden : 2 km away; 25 mins walk – faster if you run!
2. Yarra River City Trail : Starts at the door step on the riverside of Crown Complex
Day Trips from Melbourne
1. Mornington Peninsula : 80 km away; 1 hour by car
2. Yarra Valley: 45 km away; 1 hour by car
1. Philip Island Penguin Parade: 150 km away; 2 hours by car
How to Get Around
Getting from the Airport
Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport (MEL) is located about 25 km from the city centre, about 20-30 minutes by car, depending on traffic. Taxis charge around AUD60 from the airport to Melbourne city. For a cheaper alternative, the Skybus runs from the airport to the airport to the city, with free connections to major city hotels, for about AUD20 each way.
Melbourne is served with an extensive rail, tram and bus network. The system uses a stored value car called “myki”, which you can purchase at most convenience stores. Alternatively, for Android phones, you can use Mobile Myki.
Note: Tram travel within the Melbourne CBD zone is free. Crown Complex is located just outside of the free zone; which starts across the river from Crown Complex. See map here.
Taxis and rideshare services including: Uber, DiDi and Ola operate in Melbourne.